March 10, 2010

My Haiti Trip

From the onset, I confess that one week in Haiti, does not a Haiti expert make, but I'd like to share my thoughts since these beautiful people have been in the news so much since the terrible earthquake. So here goes in no particular order of priority.

For a first-timer, there are few words to describe the devastation in Haiti (it is much worse that I ever imagined it could be), but much of this devastation occured years before the earthquake and has more to do with systemic governmental corruption and misguided foreign aid.

The people of Haiti have been exploited and victimized for generations and therefore have a severly diminished sense of what normal life should look like.

Therefore they have learned wonderful coping and survival skills.  They're physically and spiritually strong.

Despite the above, but all the more inspiring, they possess a wonderfully infectious joy and when they come in contact with Americans, they generally treat us like rock stars.

Many Haitians have a wonderful commitment to God and Christ in particular.

Haiti is a ecological nightmare. My guess is that the country is 80% deforested and there is little in the way or sewer sanitation, garbage is everywhere.

The U.S. and other countries need to be very careful that our attempt to "aid" Haiti doesn't hamstring them. Aid should come with strings attached for governmental reform, measures that insure justice and improvement in education.

For all our issues and failures, the U.S. is the greatest country on the earth and the greatest that has ever been, in my estimation.  The most generous and kind, exporting much more good than evil.  I more than ever, very humbly and thankfully, continue to believe in American exceptionalism in our world.

While there are many truly orphaned (no parents) children in Haiti, there are many others who have one or two sets of parents. However, their parents often cannot financially care for them so they are sent to orphanages. Some children are able to see their parents or other family members during holidays.

My heart was smitten with this people and the beautiful children that were thirsty for affection and affirmation. I received so much more than I gave and would welcome the opportunity to be a blessing to them again. Learn much more from our Haiti veteran friends Kirk and Kelly Metty @  god-not-forsaken.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you are back home safe and sound. I enjoyed reading about your trip, it is a lot to take in. It makes me more thankful for all of the small comforts I enjoy.
    Mary Frey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Haiti.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your comments here!