January 30, 2011

Egypt & The Declaration of Independence

Writing the Declaration of Independence 1776 c...Image via Wikipedia
As my young son's and I were scanning the CNN headlines regarding the latest unrest in Egypt, they asked me "why" the people were rioting.  I don't pretend to know why in particular the Egyptians are so upset, but I'm sure it has something to do with not having democracy and having one president for the last 30 years; nonetheless I cheered people on as my son's listened.  Their faces were incredulous, seemingly indicating this thought, "Dad, isn't this wrong for the people to protest like this?"  As I was speaking with my son's I quickly brought up a copy of the Declaration of Independence and read a few portions of it to them;
  • ..."a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation...."
  • That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government...
  • But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
While it is my hope that there is no Egyption bloodshed, what should to be underscored is the people's right to protest what they believe to be unjust governance, 234 years ago we did the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your comments here!